100 Facts Flight is a non fiction book for kids about planes, bursting with exactly 100 fascinating facts, unbelievable images and fun activities. Children will learn everything they need to know about flying machines both past and present.
100 Facts Flight covers key topics about the world of aviation in easily-digestible, numbered facts. Every page includes fantastic illustrations and photographs that support a child’s understanding of the text. A fantastic plane book for kids aged 6+.
Essential topics covered in 100 Facts Flight:
• The scientific concepts of being lighter than air and flying faster than the speed of sound
• The world-altering design for the aeroplane and how to operate one
• Other flying machines such as helicopters, space rockets and war planes
Examples of ‘I don’t believe it’ fascinating facts:
• Before letting people fly in their balloon, the Montgolfier brothers tried it out with a duck, a sheep and a chicken!
• A 747 Jumbo Jet has 18 wheels in total – a set of two wheels under the nose and four sets of four wheels under the body and wings.
• The first plane to go supersonic was the Bell XI, which had a rocket engine. On 14 October 1947 its pilot, Chuck Yeager, became the first person to fly faster than sound travels.
Activities to make learning accessible and interactive include:
• Make a whirling rotor using just a piece of paper and a paperclip!
• Quiz question: Pushing the control column forwards makes a plane climb. True or false?
• Demonstrate to friends and family why a plane shoots forwards by blowing up a balloon and letting go. Gases rush out of jet engines in the same way.
Author: Sue Becklake
Consultant: Chris Oxlade
Dimensions: 297 x 228 mm
Format: Paperback with holographic foil
This item is sourced from the UK