100 Facts Plant Life is bursting with detailed images, fun activities and exactly 100 amazing facts. Children will learn everything they need to know about our green planet.
100 Facts Plant Life contains key topics about the plant kingdom in mind-blowing numbered facts. Each fact is accompanied by beautiful illustrations and photographs, which add visual meaning to the information for kids. This is a fascinating plant book for kids aged 7+.
Essential topics covered in 100 Facts Plant Life:
• The seven functions of a plant, which include photosynthesis and pollination
• Plants in different environments such as forests, jungles and underwater
• Animal friends, enemies and how plants use their appearance as a trap
Examples of ‘I don’t believe it’ fascinating facts:
• Squirting cucumbers can shoot their seeds 5 metres away. Their seedpods are full of water and explode at the slightest touch.
• Nearly half of all the trees that are cut down are used to make paper – more than 300 million tonnes every year.
• Sea otters wrap strands of giant kelp around themselves so they don’t float away while feeding on sea urchins or resting.
Activities to make learning accessible and interactive include:
• Sprinkle mustard or cress seeds on a damp piece of cotton wool and leave on a saucer in a warm place – the seeds will start to germinate after a day
• Light and dark! Find out the effect of sunlight and lack of sunlight on a living plant by placing a piece of card on a leaf and looking at what happens after a few days.
• Quiz question: Roots grow towards light. True or false?
Author: Camilla de la Bedoyere
Consultant: Barbara Taylor
Dimensions: 297 x 228 mm
Format: Paperback with holographic foil
This item is sourced from the UK